Menu
Blog

Consider This Before Medication

To try medication or not?   This is a very common and a very serious question to ask yourself after you or  a loved one has been properly diagnosed with ADHD.

It can be hard to sort through what is fact and what is fiction.

You can easily find and read  personal stories, hyped up news headlines and legendary tales that will blow your mind in either direction, depending on your mood for that particular day.

Please do not decide by reading a headline or advising with your friends.

Every person’s brain and body make-up is different.  Every person’s situation is different.

Today I’m going to share with you 4 key insights that you should consider before using medication to help with ADHD symptoms.

After you take a listen, I would love to hear from you.

Be sure to leave a comment below and let me know what you think.

4 Key Highlights From Today’s Video:

• Your doctor is only going to focus on treating one aspect of this disorder.
  • Medication is not a silver bullet.
  • Your child should not become a zombie. Please, no flat and dull humans.
  • You need to listen and trust your gut because no one knows your kid like you do.

I hope this helps you!

Thank you for all your support with this project.

With Love,

Kate Brownfield

Advocate, Mentor, and Founder of ADHDKidsCanThrive.com

6 Comments

• Laura
    March 3, 2016 at 12:11 pm

Thank you so much! Our family in consultation with doctors have decided to medicate (as we had exhausted other options) and it is going very well and my child’s response has been fantastic. As you say, there are other symptoms that are not managed by the meds, but we are finding ways of preventing/coping with them. You didn’t mention side effects of medication – which is also something to consider (whether the side effects are worth the gain – sleep loss, appetite suppression, etc.)

• Kate Brownfield
      March 3, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Great points. Thank you for sharing!

• Lawren Richards
    March 4, 2016 at 10:37 am

I do believe that ADHD– meaning the compilation of symptoms that is labeled as such– can be cured, and I have done it by eliminating ALL reactive foods and adding supplements. This means, of course, if my child eats reactive foods (which in his case is anything processed, dairy, or sugary) or doesn’t take his supplements (esp. omegas and NAC) , the symptoms come back. Just like heart disease can be controlled or exacerbated by foods & supplements. IMHO many of the mental and physical health issues seen today are symptoms of inflammation caused by poor nutrition. (ie corporate food farming practices and the ubiquity of processed food)

• Kate Brownfield
      March 9, 2016 at 9:31 am

Thanks for sharing. I’m thrilled that you found a formula that works for your child. xo

• Anne Kreutinger
    April 3, 2016 at 10:03 pm

So few teachers know how to deal with ADHD.
    It makes such a difference for a successful year when my son gets a teacher who understands. He is in 8th grade now and has had 2 teachers so far who really knew how to teach him and he did so well with them.

• Kate Brownfield
      April 5, 2016 at 11:49 am

Thanks for sharing Anne! I totally agree with you. If you can find the right teachers and/or school environment, it can make a very positive impact on a child.